Karmiel

Karmiel
Our view of the Galile

Thursday, December 13, 2018

The Perfect Partner-Parshat Vayigash 5779/2018


Insights and Inspiration
from the
Holy Land
from
Rabbi Ephraim Schwartz
"Your friend in Karmiel"
December 14th 2018 -Volume 9 Issue 11-6th of Tevet 5779

Parshat Vayigash


Perhaps one of the biggest downsides of being a tour guide, and there really aren’t too many of them, is that it really doesn’t afford me the ability to have a chavrusa- a study partner. My schedule is too erratic. I’m never home for more than a few days. I start and end at all different times. It just doesn’t work. So all I’ve got is you guys and gals. And nothing personal, but you really don’t cut as chavrusos go. Don’t get me wrong, I love you. But I miss those days when I could have my regular one on one time with my intellectual sparring partner in our spiritual gym; the Beit Midrash.

It’s not a small price to pay either. I’ve had chavrusas since I’m 13 years old in high school. Back then though all I was really interested in was a guy I could schmooze the best with when the Rebbe wasn’t looking, or who could help me on my exams or with my homework. But as I got older, in my post high school beis medrash years, my chavrusa was the person that I would really develop my learning skills with. We would sit about 3-4 hours each morning together and plow through the pages of the Talmud, debating the nuances of the commentaries, the arguments and approaches of the different sages throughout the generations and offering our own solutions to questions and contradictions that needed to be explained. It was intense. Most of the time we would spend a week or more on a mere few lines of the Talmud.

 In the afternoon we had another few hours of study which was a little lighter. We focused more on “covering ground” and completing the rest of the particular tractate we were studying. There the chavrusa’s job was to keep me moving. Not to get bogged down in the minutia. We would get back to all our question another day. In the evening we had our night seder chavrusa who we would review the Rebbe’s shiur/class with. We had halacha chavrusos, extra-seder ones for optional learning and even a mussar seder chavrusa who we could work on our own personal ethical and spiritual development with. I skipped that seder a lot.

As I got older, married, and joined a Kollel, I switched my order of learning to studying halacha full time. As I studied for my semicha- rabbinic ordination, my study-partners had to be those that I could work with in not only learning and studying the various sugyas- (I guess topics is the best translation I can come up with, but doesn’t really do it justice, let me know if you have a better one)- but one that would help me remember it; that would be able to test me, challenge me and come up with practical ramifications of the 3000 year old law and 200, 300, 400, 500 etc… year old texts that we were studying.

There is nothing like a good chavrusa. They’re not easy to find, though. In my case I needed obviously someone that would challenge me, be able to handle my “exuberant” defense of my positions and insight and not back down, and someone as well that I felt I could learn from. He also needed to be a good schmoozer that in my down time I could banter with. If he was too serious or boring, then I would generally have to duck out occasionally for good conversation. When that happened I usually didn’t extricate myself quick enough and it was downhill from there.

I was lucky in many ways. I had quite a few great chavrusos. Tzvi, Ari, Yitzy, Yitzchak, Duvi, Chiely, Zevy, Leiby to name a few, just in case they’re reading this. The rest of my friends on this list could try to figure out who they were J.I even was privileged to have chavrusos with some of my Rebbeim. Mostly mussar seder though. I think that was the only way they thought they could get me to attend. It worked. The attendance, I mean. The mussar, I think the jury is still out on. Or not.

The critical role of a study partner in one’s life is spoken about in the Talmud. I share the story with my tourists when we visit the grave of Choni Ha’Maagel, the great sage in the times of the 2nd Temple. Choni, the inspiration for Rip Van Winkle incidentally, the Talmud tells us slept for 70 years. Upon awakening he returns to his study hall and can’t find anyone that was on his level to learn with him. The next generation was just not up to his level. So he prayed the famous statement that Patrick Henry co-opted and paraphrased.

Talmud Taanit (23.) O’ Chavrusa O’misusa- Give me a Chavrusa or give me death

His prayers were answered and his life was taken from him. Similarly, the Talmud tells us about the incredible chavrusa-shaft between those two brothers-in-law; Rebbi Yochanan and Resh Lakish. After one disagreement, they “broke up” and Resh Lakish, is so forlorn that he dies. Not long after Reb Yochanan does as well, when he realizes that there is no one that can replace Reish Lakish. In the words of the Reb Yochanan bemoaning his fate

Talmud Bava Metzia (10.) ‘When I would say something he would ask me 24 questions and I would have 24 answers and that would be the way we would open up the Talmud. All these new students do are bringing me corroborating proofs to what I am saying.’

Reb Yochanan wasn’t looking for sycophants. He needed a chavrusa that would sharpen him. Interesting enough, I just noticed that it is Reb Yochanan, in Tannit, who records the previous story of Choni as well. It seems it is a reflection of his own experience.

This week’s Torah portion is perhaps the source for the chavrusa process of study with the establishment of the first yeshiva that is recorded in the Torah. After the reunion of Yosef and his brothers, the brothers return to bring their father Yaakov down to Egypt to join them. Yaakov however sends Yehudah up ahead on an important mission.

Bereshis (46:28) And Yehudah was sent before him to Yosef  “l’horos”- to instruct before him in  Goshen.

The Torah doesn’t tell us what he was meant to instruct however Rashi quotes the Midrash focusing on the words ‘l’horos’- which means teaching laws  and before him as a reference to building a Beit Hatalmud- a Yeshiva from where Jewish law will come out from.

So here we have the first yeshiva being set up. The yeshiva will consist of two students. A chavrusa-schaft. Two unlikely candidates. Yehudah and Yosef. Incredible! I don’t think that there would be two more unlikely people that someone would throw together. Think about their history. Yehudah had sold Yosef down to Egypt and all that he had undergone in those 22 years were because of that sale. His imprisonment, his distance from his father, his family, his brother. Yehudah as well, was put through this incredible hoax, by Yosef. He was accused of being a spy, his brother Shimon was thrown into jail, he literally almost lost his World to Come as he had guaranteed to his father that he would return Binyamin’s to him and Yosef had him convinced that it was not happening. And you want to put these two together to build a yeshiva! To be study-partners?

Besides all that history, their styles were total opposites. Yosef was the tzadik. He withstood the temptation of the wife of Potiphar. Yehudah on the other hand was the Baal Teshuva. He failed. He sinned. Yet he admits and comes back. Yosef operates hidden, behind closed doors. Yehudah is out in the open. Yehudah was the king who lost his superiority after the sale of Yosef. Yosef on the other hand rises out of the pit to kingship. They are polar opposites. And yet they become the quintessential chavrusas, precisely for that reason.

See, the beauty of the study of Torah is that it is not about me. For Torah study to be true it has to be that way. One can’t inflict their personal baggage on the text. There can’t be any ego. But yet each one of us has brings so much of it to the table when we approach anything in our lives. L’havdil one can see that when it comes to archaeology in Israel. There are many Zionistic archaeologists that approach whatever they find with the intent of proving that Jews have been here forever. There are some that are religious and will see proof of authenticity of the Torah, its narratives, the stories of the Talmud and information contained there in all they find. Other atheistic archaeologists will try to prove the opposite. For many years, there were respected archaeologists that believed that King David or King Solomon, if they even existed, were mere tribal chieftains, rather than national kings. Ultimately they were quite embarrassed with all the discoveries that pretty much made the Torah version incontrovertible. But the study of Torah can’t be that way. It has to be pure. It has to be objective and can’t be subjective. And the only way to get that pure fire, in the words of the midrash, is by rubbing two hard stones together. Two opposing scholars who through their debate will reveal the pure light of truth of our Torah.

Yaakov sends Yehudah to form this first study-partnership and create a Beit Midrash that will instruct the Jews in how we will merit to leave the Egyptian exile that we were then entering. We will need the Yosefs and Yehudahs to get together. We will need the tzadikim, the righteous ones without sin to sit down and study with the baal teshuvas- the sinners who have returned. Not only to teach them, but to learn from them as well. We need the wealthy, successful ones, who have picked themselves up, to sharpen themselves in Torah study with those who have failed; with those who have lost it all. The quiet and the loud, the public and the private. The brave and the timid. The dreamer and the pragmatist. Each one possesses a truth the other doesn’t have and each one’s truth is incomplete because it is bogged down with the ego and personal agenda that detracts from the Divine mission. It is only when they unite. When they can put all that baggage behind them, when they can sit down and hash it out over the word of Hashem that the true light and redemption can come.

When we left Egypt and came to the Sea we are told that it split before the people for two reasons. The first was that the leader of the tribe of Yehudah, Nachshon, jumped in first up to his nose. The second reason is because the Sea ‘saw’ the coffin of Yosef and ‘said’ that since Yosef was able to overcome his natural inclinations to fulfill the will of Hashem, it must follow suit as well and split. It is no coincidence that the redemption came in the merit of these two. The sea split “before them” because Yaakov had sent Yehuda 210 years prior to that when we first came down to Egypt to open the Beit Midrash “before them”. As well, we are told that the ultimate redemption will have two Mashiachs; Mashiach from the house of Yosef and Mashiach from the house of David (the descendant of Yehuda). That chavrusa, that Beit Midrash, that undiluted Torah is what will bring that Temple once again to be rebuilt.

So here I am chavrusa-less. I have my congregants. I have you, my readers, and I have my daily tourists, who I try to challenge. But you aren’t chavrusos. As much as I love you and wouldn’t trade my life for anything else. But I miss it. It’s my sacrifice, I guess, for the meantime. Something to look forward to when I retire. Hopefully that is still a long time away despite my becoming another year older ( I had to get that in somewhereJ). On the other hand, God willing Mashiach will come, The ultimate Chavrusa will finally come to its fulfilment. We are half way there. Mashiach Ben Yosef has done his work. May we see his chavrusa Mashiach Ben Dovid join him very soon.

 Have a marvelous Shabbos!
Rabbi Ephraim Schwartz

********************************************************

RABBI SCHWARTZ’S FAVORITE YIDDISH PROVERB OF THE WEEK

“In shpigel zet itlecher zein besten freind.”- In the mirror everybody sees his best friend

RABBI SCHWARTZES COOL VIDEOS OF THE WEEK

https://youtu.be/p3UiUDbkSqY   - Mind-blowing, to think 6000 Jews gather at Kremlin and sing Ani Maamin boys choir. Who wudda thought we would see this day…Truly Mashiach’s times

https://youtu.be/YBSDTrviNxI     I’ll be honest. I didn’t think I would watch more than 2 minutes of this but it is truly kept me transfixed. Let’s see if it happens to you. The Rubashkin Story a Nation United on the anniversary of his release

https://youtu.be/sN_S2RUGBds- Very hartzig new song at concert Hatei sung by Shea Rubenstien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nEquYC2DzU -    Wasn’t easy finding this… Ani Yosef Achichem sung by Simcha Leiner a beautiful SY Rechnitz composition

RABBI SCHWARTZ'S TOUR GUIDE EXAM QUESTION OF THE WEEK
answer below at end of Email
Q The southernmost bird sanctuary in Israel is found in:
A. The Hai Bar in Yotvata
B. Yoash Mountain
C. Timna Mountain
D. Eilat

RABBI SCHWARTZ'S “LOMDUS” CONNECTION OF THE WEEK

Parshat VayigashOne has to be careful about being too “lomdish”. Or perhaps careful of getting carried away with your lomdus and then projecting it on the text. My Rebbi, used to call it having a “yiddisheh nose”. Being able to smell out whether a vort, or Torah idea was true or not. I’ll give you an example of course from this week’s Torah portion
The Torah tells us about Yosef and Yaakov’s long awaited reunion. The verse tells us that Yosef falls on his father’s shoulder. Rashi notes however that the verse does not tell us that Yaakov cried at all.
Rashi Bereshis (46:29) Our sages tell us that Yaakov was reciting the Shema

All of the commentaries pretty much are perplexed by this Rashi. Why is Yaakov reciting the Shema? Why isn’t Yosef, if it was time to recite it. Reb Chaim Soloveitchik Z”L answers in his traditional halachic and lomdushe manner, by noting that the entire way down to Egypt Yaakov never recited Shema. The reason being because that Talmud in Sukkah (25.) tells us that the Torah obligates one to say Shema B’lectecha ba’derech- in one’s walking on the path. Only when one is walking for your personal reasons are you obligated. However, if you are walking in the process of doing a mitzvah you are exempt. That being the case, then the entire journey down to Egypt which was a commandment by Hashem, Yaakov was exempt from reciting Shema. It was only when he arrived and met Yosef that he became obligated once again. And thus he recited Shema.
That part of the story is pretty famous. I recently saw an added part in the sefer Shai La’Torah that dramatizes it a bit more. There was an individual that was telling the Brisker Rav his own resolution of Reb Chaim’s kasha. He suggested that Yaakov was overwhelmed with such a powerful love for his own son that he feared that it would detract from his mitzvah to “love Hashem with all your heart”. He was sharing some of his heart with his outpouring of love for his son. He therefore recited the Shema to reinforce his love for Hashem.

When the Rav heard this he shuddered and responded

Mi’nemt Yaakov Avinu und m’macht ehm azoi vi zich; und noch dehm zogt min azah zelecheh verter- You takeYaakov, our Patriarch, and make him just like you and then you make up speeches about it.’

He continued and explained that by our forefather Yaakov there was no such thing as a personal love for his son that was separate from his love of Hashem. They were identical. He loved his son because it was an expression of his love for Hashem.
So as I said be careful, about lomdus. As Reb Kenny R used to say. You got to know when to hold em and when to fold em, when to lomdus them and when to not.

RABBI SCHWARTZ'S ERA’S AND THEIR PLACES AND PEOPLE IN ISRAEL OF THE WEEK
Septuaguint - 246 BC- This Sunday is the 8th of Tevet. It was at one point a fast day but it got incorporated with the fast 2 days later of the 10th of Tevet. It recalls a day that our sages tell us was as bad as the Golden Calf. It was the day of the writing of the Septuaquint or Targum Shivi’m in the words of our sages. Ever hear about it? Did you think it’s that bad?  Well you’ll be fasting for it this Tuesday why not learn about it.

See in about the year 300 BC or so a short little Greek Guy named Alexander who humbly called himself the Great came to Israel. With him comes all types of Greek culture. He’s good to the Jews but his generals that take over…not so much. The Egyptian King Ptolmey decides to have the Torah translated into Greek. He takes 72 Rabbis locks them into 72 rooms gives them a pen and boom get to work. Miraculously all 72 came out with identical texts, this was despite the fact that they all made politically correct changes to it. Although it was a miracle, our Rabbis saw it as a bad thing. For now, the Torah would become just another philosophy book on the shelf. Jews would assimilate more and more and Hebrew our sacred tongue as well would not be utilized by the next generation.

This phenomenon of the Septuagint and assimilating Jews during this period of the second Temple where I mention this can be seen all over Israel. In Jerusalem in the Herodian street under the old city one can see Greek writing all over the place and its influences. In the synagogues in the Ir Dovid and the north of Israel as well which id from a bit later period Greek is the commonly written language. In Tzippori one can see the illiterate Hebrew with words misspelled on the shul floors. In the cemetery in Beit Shearim we find graves that are inscribed in Greek with Greek epitaphs and names of daughters of Rabbis that are buried there that are entirely Greek; Atio and Atheon for example. Perhaps the place you see it most vividly is in the Israel Musuem where you see much of the assimilated Jewish Hellenists Mosaics and art that has been uncovered and at the museum of the Good Samaritan in the Dead Sea region as well.
It gives me, and my tourists, pause to see this striking Greek assimilation and it makes you think about what they might say about the plethora of English Torah books, if that’s a good thing as well. On the one hand it has certainly opened up Torah to many who would not have access. On the other hand maybe we should fast, and pray for the fact that we have lost Lashon Hakodesh as our mother tongue.

RABBI SCHWARTZ’S JEWISH PARTNER JOKES  OF THE WEEK
One evening, Moshe and his partner Abe were having dinner together to celebrate a recent business deal. They were having a great time when suddenly Moshe began to find it hard to breathe.
He said, "Abe, help me, I tink I hev svallowed a bone."
"Are you choking, Moshe?" said Abe.
"No, - I’m being serious." 

In the early 1900s, an old Jew was traveling alone in his compartment on the Trans-Siberian Railroad. The train stops and an officer in the czar's army gets on. He and the Jew travel for a while in silence. Suddenly the officer grabs the Jew by the lapels and demands: "Tell me: how is it you Jews so much brighter than everyone else?"
The Jew is silent a moment, then responds: "It's because of the herring that we eat."
The officer quiets down and the trip resumes. Soon the Jew takes out a piece of herring and starts to eat it. The officer asks him: "How many more pieces of that herring do you have?"
"A dozen."
"How much do you want for them?"
"Twenty rubles" [a big sum of money].
The officer takes out the money and gives it to the Jew. The old man gives him the herring, and the officer takes a bite. Suddenly he stops. "This is ridiculous," he says. "In Moscow I could have bought all this herring for a few kopecks."
"You see," says the Jew, "it's working already."

O'Sullivan, Cabot, Kelly and Mendlebaum was one of the most successful law firms in New York . Of all the partners, Mendlebaum brought in the most business.
Lunching with him one day, a curious friend asked, "Why is your name listed last? O'Sullivan spends most of his time in the south of France . Cabot is at his club's bar every afternoon, and Kelly is at the race track all the time. Since you bring in all the business, your name should be first."
To which Mendlebaum replied, "All my clients read from right to left."

This happened in the English class at a chassidic yeshiva. The teacher presented the students with a list of vocabulary words and gave them a homework assignment to write each word in a sentence. On the list was the word 'devout'.
One student returned the next day with the following sentence: "My father has long devouts."
Upon reading it, the principal asked the student if he was trying to make a joke out of the assignment.
 "No," the boy replied with a sincere look, "I looked up 'devout' in the dictionary, and it said, 'pious.'

At Mr Silver's Bar Mitzva, he asks his Rabbi to speak for five minutes. The Rabbi says he can’t talk because he left his teeth at home, so he sends his Shamash to run to his house and bring him his teeth. When he gets the teeth he gets up and starts speaking. 5 min. then ten, 20, 30, 40 and he keeps speaking. After an hour he finally gets down. Mr. Silver is not too happy and asks the Rabbi, "I told you to speak for only five minutes, what happened?" The Rabbi says "oy, my Shamash brought me my wife's teeth!

************
Answer is D–  That was another easy one. I think I had it on an earlier practice test as well. But yes, Eilat is the southern most part of Israel and the half billion or so bears that migrate from Europe and Asia down to Africa and back again in the fall and spring make their way to that Arava valley to fuel up before hitting the Sahara dessert. Yoash is in Eilat mountains Timna has Solomons Pillars and the Hai Bar in Yotvata one can see birds, but its north of Eilat and not a sanctuary
score is Schwartz 8 and 1 for MOT (Ministry of Tourism) on this exam so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment